I have seen lots of people sharing photos of their copies of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings Deluxe Pocket editions, but I wish I could see more than just the covers. When I went to my local bookstore, the boxed set was wrapped in plastic wrap, so I couldn’t even get a closer look there!
Luckily, a YouTuber called BookCravings has taken the time to show us the whole set, including the size of the text, color of the paper, and some of the illustrations and maps.
Her list of strengths includes
- An inexpensive price point
- Simple minimalistic design
- Beautifully made, with soft leatherette cover
- The nice looking sturdy box with gold details
- Nice engravings and typeface on the book covers and spines
- Sewn bindings
- Cream paper
- The books are a comfortable size for reading and feel good in the hands
Some shortcomings include
- The quality is only okay
- The text could be considered small
It sounds like she plans to show more Tolkien books, but started with this boxed set, saying, “It is very underrated.” Be sure to subscribe to BookCravings on YouTube to see more videos on Tolkien books when she posts them!